The dorades in our boat must have leaked from the first rainfall or saltwater splash. When we started going through the boat with toothpicks we realized the ceiling in the bathroom was completely saturated with water and soft. We ripped it out since there was no possibility to salvage it and it looked terrible.
With the ceiling off we went above deck to inspect the dorades we found holes directly into the bathroom, one about the size of a dime and another about one inch long by half a centimeter. No wonder our bathroom ceiling was saturated and our bulkheads had popped and de-laminated! (On a side note, I’ve never said “de-laminated” or “water intrusion” so often in my life. I hope these words become less and less a part of my day to day vocabulary.)
Another design flaw with the dorades is that the floor (where the holes in the boat are) is lower than the exit point for water. So water enters the dorades through rain falling or salt water spray and sits without anywhere to go but inside the boat.
*Shakes head and sighs*
We thought to grind and re-glass the floor of the dorades, which would stop the dreaded water intrusion but still leave us with standing water in the dorade. Over mediocre Mexican food one night we came up with the idea to place closed cell foam into the dorade and glass over this to create a new bottom and raise the floor enough to be able to drill a new exit point for water. Aha! We abandoned the original water exit point by filling with epoxy.
It turned out great and was a relatively quick solution to a big point of water intrusion on the boat. We felt quite smug. 🙂
We then had to re-glue a new piece of plywood to replace the rotten one. The final result looks fantastic and we know no more leaks from this point, ever!